Sofia Brewer-Berres, M.A.
Office Manager, Digital and Social Marketing Director
As the Office Manager of the Institute, I oversee employee onboarding and exit protocols, technology support, building and maintenance needs, tenant management, event and workshop preparation, and the various daily needs of our teams and other operational functions. I also serve on our marketing team as the Website Coordinator, Social Media Director, and E-Newsletter Supervisor.
I have a Masters in Women’s and Gender Studies, and the Institute’s mission lines up perfectly with my own interest in female empowerment. In earning my degree, my goal was to be able to do something which would encourage girls’ and women’s confidence in themselves and foster a community in which they could thrive. This is why the Institute was a great match for me. By providing behind-the-scenes support to our clinical and community education teams and facilitating smooth business operations, I help enable the Institute to make a difference in the lives of all the people we serve.
• Eastern Michigan University (2015)
M.A. Women’s and Gender Studies: Concentration in Communication and African-American Studies
• Pennsylvania State University (2014)
B.A. Media Studies: Minor in Women’s Studies and Political Science
• Co-Chair of the First Annual Eastern Michigan University Women’s and Gender Studies Graduate Conference.
• Conference presentation, “He’s Fast and She’s Weird: Representation of Women in Superhero Films,” Comics and Popular Arts Conference, Atlanta, GA, September 2-5, 2016.
• Produced a thirty-minute documentary film on the normalization of rape culture in popular film for M.A. Thesis.
• Conference presentation, “Can Women Reclaim the Rape Joke?” National Women’s Studies Association Annual Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 12-15, 2015.
• Panel moderator: Rape: Questions of Prevention and Resistance, National Women’s Studies Association Annual Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 12-15, 2015.
• Organized an awareness-raising event for World AIDS Day at Penn State.
• Video Production Intern at the Women’s Rights National Historical Park.