Sushi Frausto, M.A.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT 101031)
Pronouns: She / Her / Hers
Let’s get creative! I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who specializes in Expressive Art Therapy. I use my training in counseling psychology, art therapy, and play therapy to support the Institute’s Child and Adolescent Specialty Program. I love working with children and their families to help grow personal strengths, resiliency and emotional wellness.
Parenting begins at conception. As a member of the Perinatal and Postpartum Program, I work with parents who may be experiencing perinatal mood or anxiety disorders or other challenges related to having a new baby. This may include support for the parent or parent coaching around how to support your child. I am co-facilitator of our Mother Journey group and our Materni-TEA support group. I’m also a part of the Institute’s Health and Wellness Center team.
I provide support for growth in the following areas:
- Art and Play Therapy
- Working with young children
- Parent Coaching
- Family Therapy
- Perinatal mood or anxiety disorders
- Difficult family situations, including divorce, illness or death
- Pediatric chronic pain or illness
- Anxiety & Stress
- Self-esteem / Self-acceptance
- Emotional Regulation
- Friendship challenges
- Processing trauma
- Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology with an emphasis in Expressive Art Therapy, California Institute of Integral Studies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology with Minor in Art History, Loyola Marymount University
Additional Information about my Specialties:
I combine expressive arts with therapeutic approaches such as narrative, cognitive behavioral, dialectic and developmental therapy. My expressive arts training includes the use of art materials, drama, music, poetry, writing, play and all forms of creative expression to help clients engage and process at the deepest level. This is especially useful when working with children.
My training in Perinatal and Postpartum Wellness offers me the chance to support parents as they adjust to having a new baby. I approach this work from an emotional, social and biological perspective.
Presentations and Workshops:
- The Benefits of Expressive Arts on Neurodevelopment: for parents
- Our Stories: Telling Your Story Through Artistic Expression: for parents
- Stand Up! Speak Out!™ Summer Workshop: for girls in 3rd – 5th grades
- Friendship Rally – An Introduction to Stand Up! Speak Out!™: for girls in 3rd – 8th grades
- Cliques, Conflicts and Connections: for parents
- Expressive Arts Therapy…What’s That?
- Art as a Tool for Self-Regulation
- Art as Language
- Art as a Way to Advance Higher Order Thinking Skills
- Using Medical Play to Support Your Child around Coronavirus
- 3 Quick Tips for helping your kids shift from boredom to self-reliance
- Help Children with ADHD Learn at Home
- Why Kids Need to Release Big Feelings and Aggression Now
- Drama Therapy Training, Living Arts Counseling Center, Oakland
- Expressive Arts Therapy
- Maternal Mental Health Certification Training, Maternal Mental Health NOW, Los Angeles
- Play therapy with young children
- Family Dynamics
- Whole Brain Child
- Maternal Mental Health Certification
- Trauma informed
Other Current Professional Activities:
- Member of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Society of Pediatric Psychology member
- Professional Member of the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association
- Therapist and Clinical Care Coordinator, San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center
- Therapist, Child Therapy Institute
- Founder of Creative Aging, which provides consultation on expressive arts and person-centered engagement for adults with dementia and other processing disorders
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, emphasis in Expressive Art Therapy, California Institute of Integral Studies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Minor in Art History, Loyola Marymount University
Mission: My mission is to grow individual and community mental health and well-being by offering safe spaces, professional support, education, and tools for self-exploration and growth.
Phone: 626-585-8075 ext. 123BACK TO OUR TEAM