Effective and Compassionate Clinical Work for Transgender and Nonbinary Children, Teens and Families
Fall Session – Mondays, 11am – 1pm, September 20 – November 15, 2021 with October 11 canceled for Indigenous People’s Day
Trainer: Susan Landon, MA, LMFT of the L.A.Gender Center
We are excited to announce “Effective and Compassionate Clinical Work with Transgender and Nonbinary Children, Teens, and Families.” This 8 week professional training (16 hours) is designed to equip you in your clinical and case management work with gender-expansive youth and families.
- Unique focus on working with children, families, and schools: The growing population of children and pre-teens identifying on the gender spectrum is growing. Susan Landon, MA, LMFT, of the LA Gender Center has spent many years working with gender-expansive children and families – as well as training others to do this work with deep insight and compassion. This is a great opportunity to study with her virtually!
- Stellar Guest Speakers: Aydin Olson-Kennedy, LCSW, Executive Director of the Los Angeles Gender Center, will speak about gender dysphoria and his life experience, and Dr. Johanna Olson-Kennedy from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles will explain and answer questions about medical decisions for the trans community.
- This small group setting provides an intimate setting for training and discussion. Program capped at 16 participants.
More about Susan Landon of the LA Gender Center:
Susan has been working with transgender and nonbinary youth and their families for many years. She is a wealth of wisdom and experience on development, family, working with schools, etc. While Susan will be providing training on working with both teens and young children, her emphasis will be on working with children and their families. The gender journey for these young ones is a specialized and unique area. Susan is interested in sharing her knowledge to those who will be expanding this work as it becomes more and more needed. Note: You do not have to be working with transgender or nonbinary youth at this time in order to attend and benefit.
Topics Covered in this 8 week training include:
- How to build a strong working relationship with parents, including the role of empathy and psychoeducation.
- Understanding categories of identity and diversity as it relates to gender non-conforming children.
- Developmental issues for children ages 0 – 4. Includes working with the child and parents.
- Developmental issues for children ages 5 – 9. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Developmental issues for children ages 10 – 12. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Developmental issues for children 13 – 19. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Unique aspects of this developmental level compared to younger children’s gender journeys.
- Promoting resilience for children and parents at school, at home and in the world.
- Clinical presentations for each developmental level.
- Community resources for children, teens and parents. Including how to evaluate appropriate match for the child, teen and family.
Guests: We will have two guest speakers for this training. Aydin Olson-Kennedy will speak about gender dysphoria and his life experience, and Dr.Johanna Olson-Kennedy from Children’s Hospital will explain and answer questions about medical decisions for the trans community.
Time and Dates:
Fall session will be held on Mondays, from 11am – 1pm, starting September 20 – November 15 with October 11 canceled for Indigenous People’s Day !
Statements from Previous Students:
“Susan is such a wealth of knowledge, it is an honor and privilege to learn from her. She has such a real and genuine way of teaching – you can’t help but be engaged.”
“I have gained so much from Susan’s knowledge and wisdom! Extremely valuable information for clinicians working with children and teens today.”
“This training was incredibly helpful! I appreciated the knowledge Susan shared with us. I feel more confident in working with gender-expansive youth. I appreciated learning specific facts about the experiences of children who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming and their families. I also REALLY appreciated learning the wording of what she’d say to families in the room. It feels grounding to have language to build off of and customize to a particular family’s needs. I wish we could have had more time together! This training has definitely changed me as a therapist – I have grown and learned so much.”
$795 for the course.
$640 is the early bird special rate.
$395 for students and pre-licensed therapists.
Continuing education certificates: Our continuing education partner, Illuminated Education is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts APA approval for CE activities for MFTs, LCSWs, LPPCs and or/LEPs. Illuminated Education maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
A certificate for 16 hours of continuing education is provided for participants who attend all 16 hours of training. Please see the requirements for credits referenced on the site at Illuminated Education.