Effective and Compassionate Clinical Work for Gender-Expansive Children, Teens and Families
Trainer: Susan Landon, MA, LMFT
We are excited to announce “Effective and Compassionate Clinical Work with Gender Expansive Children, Teens, and Families.” This 6 week professional training (12 hours) is designed to equip you in your clinical and case management work with gender-expansive youth and families.
- One of the unique elements of this important training is the focus on working with children, families, and schools. The growing population of children and pre-teens identifying on the gender spectrum is growing. Susan Landon, MA, LMFT, of the LA Gender Center has spent many years working with gender-expansive children and families, as well as training others to do this work with deep insight and compassion. This is a great opportunity to study with her in Pasadena!
- A second noteworthy aspect of this training is the small group aspect, providing a more intimate setting for training and discussion. Program capped at 14 participants.
More about Susan Landon of the LA Gender Center:
Susan has been working with gender expansive youth and their families – particularly children (ages 3 and older) – for many years. She is a wealth of wisdom and experience on development, family, working with schools, etc. While Susan will be providing training on working with both teens and young children, her emphasis will be on working with children and their families. The gender journey for these young ones is a specialized and unique area. Susan is interested in sharing her knowledge to those who will be expanding this work as it becomes more and more needed. Note: You do not have to be working with gender expansive youth at this time in order to attend and benefit.
Topics Covered in this 6 week training include:
- How to build a strong working relationship with parents, including the role of empathy and psychoeducation.
- Understanding categories of identity and diversity as it relates to gender non-conforming children.
- Developmental issues for children ages 5 – 9. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Developmental issues for children ages 10 – 12. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Developmental issues for children 13 – 19. Includes working with parents and schools.
- Unique aspects of this developmental level compared to younger children’s gender journeys.
- Promoting resilience for children and parents at school, at home and in the world.
- Clinical presentations for each developmental level.
- Community resources for children, teens and parents. Including how to evaluate appropriate match for the child, teen and family.
Guests: We will likely have some special guests who will add to the training experience. We will keep you posted as guests are confirmed.
Time and Dates: The group will be held on Mondays, from 11am – 1pm, starting February 24th- March 30th.
$625 for the course.
$595 is the early bird special rate. Must register by February 11th for the early bird rate.
$395 for students and pre-licensed therapists.
Continuing education certificates: Our continuing education partner is Illuminated Education, who is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Illuminated Education maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts APA approval for CE activities for MFTs, LCSWs, LPPCs and/or LEPs.
A certificate for 12 hours of continuing education is provided for participants who attend all 12 hours of training.