Be Body Positive
Weekly, Virtual Therapy Group for Middle Schoolers (grades 6-8)
Did you know that as many as 70% of girls and women in the United States struggle with negative body esteem? That’s a lot of people! Why such a high percentage? Our society has deep, long-standing roots in diet culture – a system of beliefs that idolizes thinness and promotes the false notion that thinness equates with health. It has likely affected most of us in some way.
So, what can you do to push back against diet culture and raise children in a healthy, positive way? Incorporate intuitive eating for you and your family. An intuitive eater fully trusts their body’s wisdom and eats according to its hunger, fullness, and satisfaction cues without guilt, rules, or restrictions.
We all hope for our youth to feel good about who they are, including who they are in their bodies! The excessive screen time during online school and quarantine presents additional challenges for middle school girls who may already be experiencing challenges with their changing bodies . This support group, based on the exciting Be Body Positive Model, will teach five powerful competencies to help develop resources and a renewed energy to maintain positivity and take care of one’s body:
- Reclaim Health
- Practice Intuitive Self-Care
- Cultivate Self-Love
- Declare Your Own Authentic Beauty
- Build Community
These core competencies are fundamental skills we practice on a daily basis to live peacefully and healthfully in our bodies. When we become proficient—competent—at using these skills, we are able to care of ourselves in body, mind and spirit from a place of self-love and appreciation. Each week we’ll come together to share our triumphs and our struggles. Your middle schooler will develop empowering skills she can tap into throughout her life.
- Fridays 3pm – 4pm or 4pm – 5pm (please let us know your preferred time)
Facilitators (click the name for license and registration information):
- Angela Youngs, PsyD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Supervised by Vicki Chiang, PsyD (PSY21136)
- $75 per session
To learn more, contact our Intake Coordinator at intake@IFGD.care or 626-585-8075 ext. 108.
- Bacon, L. (2010). Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight. Dallas, TX: BenBella Books.
- Cain, A.S., Epler, A. J., Steinley, D., & Sher, K. J. (2010). Stability and change in patterns of concerns related to eating, weight, and shape in young adult women: A latent transition analysis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 119, 255-267.
- Full Bloom Project (2019). The abc’s of body-positive parenting
- 7 Steps to Raising Intuitive Eaters